Thursday 1 July 2010

Things to be Thankful for

Well, for a start I have finished proof reading the annual accounts.  Mind-numbing?  Yes.  Boring? No.  I did find it rather interesting.  No I am not crazy peeps.  In my defence, it is the first time I have read these particular departments set of annual accounts so I have learnt lots of new things today for which I am thankful.  I enjoy being at work and learning new things and not being bored....boredom being one of the few things that I find hard to deal with.

Today, I am thankful as I often am for lots of things.  Specifically  2 things......

Firstly Beautiful B.....

She got herself a job at McD's peeps.  No laughing at how proud that makes me, I happen to think that it will teach her a lot about hard work and customer service.  Stop laughing, I am being deadly serious (for once). I am only saying stop laughing because for 3 years I was informed by my gorgeous daughter that there was NO WAY she was going to work in McD's.

Beautiful B is going to college (we are still waiting to hear which one which was extremely upsetting for her yesterday who wants a specific college and has been working herself up for 3 months to finding out at the end of the college assessment day if she was in or out only to be told on the day that she had to wait another week.  

Now we all now that in the life of a 16 year old a week is like a year long!!!!), however, I felt it important that she get herself a part-time job to ease herself into employment rather than it hit her full force when she starts her lifelong chosen career of nursing people back to health.  So in the caring mother (that I am) fashion I told her I was stopping her pocket money when she left high school so she would be forced motivated to find a job. 

Harsh?  I hear you say.  Maybe, but sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind and teach important life lessons.  There was a possibility of her spending most of the summer on her butt and I couldn't have that, I am all for a bit of hard work never hurting anyone.  And, anyways I worked every summer from being 12 in a rock factory and loved it, earning my own money totally rocked so therefore she can.

So she studiously went out and papered all of Blackpool with her CV, completed an on line application to McD's answering questions in a way I (as a fully fledged adult ) would be proud of.  They rang up for her at 9am the next morning and said they were very impressed with her responses to the on-line questions - I was very proud of her.

So she started today, picked up her uniform (which means Nanny will be taking all the trousers up about 5 inches over the next few days as she is tiny - all of about 4 foot 8 inches.  Any sewing goes to my mum because I cannot even hem a square piece of cloth - no seriously the teacher informed my parents of this when I was at school shortly before she told them she despaired of me because it was obvious I was trying very hard and still failing miserably).  No work on the tills or serving real people though today folks.  Oh no, just some more watching of short films and listening to lessons......  I wonder if she will know what has hit her when she does a real day next week. 

I am also concerned, you know seen as she is short short, that she won't be able to reach that far back on the counter that they store burgers on.  I will be blamed for that because, as she informs me, I have passed on the short gene.  I will have you know, I am not as short as Beautiful B - well not yet, my spine has not begun to compress in on itself as Nanny's has so I estimate I have a good 10 years or so before Beautiful B starts giving me a run for my money in the dizzy heights of 5 foot stakes.

Anyway, I digress.  Today went well for her (well, it would for anyone if we went to work and actually didn't do any work...), I am proud that she found herself a job and that she did not throw a strop about losing her pocket money and understood the life lesson I was teaching her instead of calling me the devil incarnate.

Secondly Angel.....

I am off to visit my longest running best friend (Y'all, I make that sound like I have tons of best friends - I don't, it takes a lot of energy to put up with me, by now I have exhausted my long running friend and she is too tired to run away from me).

She is hereon in known as Angel because that is what she is.  She would deny this but she is.  She would ask why and I would tell her that it would take at least 24 hours to list all the ways she enriches my life and at the end of it she would just say "Don't be daft" so we will just accept that she is because going round in circles makes one dizzy.

I first met Angel when she sat on my parent's front garden wall.  Some part of my brain, that part that I have no control over, obviously took objection to her sitting on the wall because when I jumped over the wall I accidently kicked her arm which was in plaster at the time.  Not a great start to a friendship but peeps, she considers herself lucky as I once had a 15 month relationship with a boy because I shattered his kneecap for picking on another friend.

Anyhoo, we have been friends now for ...... 23 years.  Wow!  Would she have become my friend had she not just moved onto our street?  Lets face it normal people avoid those who kick their broken arms but maybe she had no choice - she had a selective small pool of local friends at best at the time....so I took full advantage of it.

Angel is the one person I can pour my heart out too (other than Hubby but he's only just come along in the last 5 years so I am not counting him and anyway he is not a GIRL), she looked after me at my wedding to No1 and supported me in the No2 wedding plus the fall out of both.  We can go without seeing each other for ages and pick up where we left off.  Because of stupidity on my part we did not get together for 3 years at one stage yet when I turned up at her front door without warning one sunny day she opened the door with open arms and all she said "You've gone blonde" - how cool is that!

Angel has had lots of bad news these last couple of years.  She battles on bravely, she is incredibly upbeat and puts the rest of us to shame with how she copes with everything that is thrown at her.  She makes me proud to be her friend and I have put her on the highest pedestal.  She is the female version of Job.  She is a force to be reckoned with and I love her more than words can describe.  She is astounding peeps. Instead of feeling sorry for herself, instead of dwelling on what she can no longer do she turns around and finds something that she can do.  I am rarely one to feel sorry for myself, even when ill I am often heard to say that there are others so much worse off than me.  Angel says the same thing and it astounds me each and every time but it is a reminder of why we are such good friends.

What she has gone through has reduced me to tears on countless occasions.  When I first heard she will ill, honest to God all the oxygen disappeared in my house for about 5 seconds (well, okay but it felt like it). What her family goes through to help support her through everything exemplifies how families should help each other through.  To see the love that shines for her from her husband and children is amazing.  The protectiveness I feel towards her is breath-taking at times.
 
I cannot take a lot most  any of what she has to struggle with on a daily basis away.  My role is to love her, comfort her, be there for her, to listen, be a sounding board, counsel her and when she wants it be an advisor.  I try (though probably fail on occasion) not to give unsolicited advice on how she should run her life - I let her talk, get it off her chest and come to her own decisions.  Why?  Because that is what best friends are for, and because in a lot of ways we are so similar it is scary and that is what I would want. 

Peeps, Angel is a control freak.  We are cut from the same cloth in that respect. My OCDisness (a word only in my world) is mild in comparison to hers.  The woman was cleaning cement off her kitchen floor peeps when she was in labour for crying out loud.  She is banned from my home at the moment as she would have a heart attack at the unfinishedness (not a real word but a ribenaism) of the back room - alright, she wouldn't because she loves me but I would.

I love that I can sit and chat with someone who understands my need to clean when I am exhausted or poorly, who understands how it is impossible to just sit and be when there is cleaning to be done, who cannot face staring a basket full of ironing, someone who just gets me.  Hubby and Beautiful B get me but in a different way because they are not OCDish.

I love Angel, like a sister. She is one of the centers of my world.  She is a lifeline when I need her and if I mean half as much to her as she does to me then I have a friend for life who will stick by me through thick and thin.

Now, peeps if you haven't got that I am thankful for Angel then know this, she is family.  As I would walk to the ends of the earth for my family, I would do the same for her.  She enriches my life and as much as I hate the life lessons that she is going through at the moment and how they affect her, she and the way she is coping with the world at the moment enriches me constantly and I love that I can give back - I hate why I am giving back but that I am there for her means the world to me.

So, I am off round to visit, to listen and laugh....and hear all about the diving as this time she managed to dive without perforating an eardrum.

So, today I am grateful for Beautiful B (who I am grateful for each and every day because without B there is no air to breathe) and for Angel who has enriched my life for 23 years and will continue to do so.

And of course, Hubby who is off travelling at the moment.  He just rang, I just informed him of an "apparently mad" plan to see Eclipse at midnight tomorrow.  His feet are tired, it is too hot as he is 200 miles nearer the equator people.....

No comments:

Post a Comment