Wednesday 27 October 2010

Is it really ice?

So it is not even the end of October.  I got up at stupid o'clock in the morning, let the dogs out and thought "bbbrrrr, it's a bit chilly outside this morning" - not unusual in itself, it was only 5am after all and I am known to walk around with a hot water bottle in August.

I went upstairs, snuggled up in bed, thought about going to work for a couple of hours, ignored the little voices telling me I had enough work to last me a weeks worth of 24hr a day working and stayed there until 7.30am.

I dragged myself out of bed, threatened to make Hubby get the bus to work if he did not get out of bed.  The doglets snuggled into the warm spaces we left in the bed and hoped we did not notice.

Hubby would leave the bedroom curtains closed permanently - his argument being he gets home after work and closes them again to get changed into his scruffs - but being the good ex-army daughter that I am (or maybe just "normal"....there's a novelty) I opened the curtains and said "Wow, the car is iced up".

Here's where it got amusing for me.....

Hubby arrives at the window, ponders the green car that is mostly covered in ice and says "Are you sure it's ice?"

A small part of my brain......okay, all of it thought "What?!?" For a split second I pondered asking out loud rather than just to the aliens that live in my head "What else is it going to be, icing sugar?"  I mean, seriously, it clearly wasn't snow so what else could it have been.

"No dear, I am not sure.  Some random crazy person may have walked down the road and thought it would be a good idea to throw a bag of icing sugar over the car as a bit of fun."

I love Hubby, I adore him, I would walk to the ends of the earth for him....and that is saying a lot considering I haven't managed to walk to the gym in the last week....so I dismissed the aliens and didn't say it out loud.  After all, that could be construed as sarcasm.

So.....Winter is here, early even for the UK.  I do not like Winter, it's too cold for me.  I don't like getting out of bed.  The heating causes my migraines to be worse, Hubby gets too hot and has to go and fan himself outside in the cold at random points in time on a daily basis and I long for the days that I do not go to work in the dark and return home in the dark.

However, I can ignore that (most of the time) because it also means that it is nearly Christmas and I love all things Christmassy.  Hubby no longer allows me to put the Christmas Tree up on the 1st of November but he does follow me round shops and garden centres while I "ooh" and "ahhh" over the pretty decorations.  He tells me to buy them, I say no...I'll wait until the Boxing Day sale and he lovingly deals with the disappointment when they have sold what I should have bought in the first place.

Not this year though.....Hubby is taking me to York for a romantic weekend away.  Granted it is over Halloween but I KNOW they will have little quaint shops already selling all things Christmassy and so I will revert to being a child in the requisite sweet shop for the weekend and spend a fortune because this year when Hubby says "Darling, if you want it then buy it" I will indeed listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment