Wednesday 17 April 2013

What a day!

Yesterday was day 1 of 2 in Newcastle. Having slept amazingly well I didn't want to get out of bed and would have preferred to go back to the dream I was enjoying despite not being able to remember it now. Instead I battled with a hair straightener and my nest of hair for an hour until the latter surrendered and admitted defeat.

I found a warm comforting fire to sit next to for a meeting with my mentor. After slapping me around the face with a wet fish for the lack of confidence in my current role the meeting went the way they always do: I say what I need help with and my mentor then probes my labyrinth of a mind to work out what I really want to discuss but haven't realised.

My mentor interviewed me for the accountancy leadership course I qualified on. After my interview he told me he would mentor me if I was successful; I'm still undecided as to whether it is because I'm mental and a bit nutty like him, reflective or I had the leadership skills his previous mentees hadn't had.

He has been outstanding and uses probing questions to draw out my thought processes and needs. In conversation he told me what his team does and that there may be vacancies. It's such a shame his team are based half way down the country as he would be excellent to work for.

After lunch I visited the PAYE team, the counterparts to the VAT team I work on. I had a few questions related specifically to work I do at year end but primarily I was there for an overview of what they do, what their risks were etc.

What I came away with is that I could work on that team too! Pity they are based half way across the country too! I would love to do a period of detached duty with them as it would benefit them but I would get some great experience out of it.

So in short I had a great day and would like to do a stint of a month or so in both areas. Now all I need to do is convince my manager that it would benefit the department strategically....,doubtful. Although it would she probably can't afford to lose 50% head count on the team considering she and I are it.

I took myself off to see a film and I am jealous at both the cinema facilities (being far superior to ours in Blackpool) and the Krispy Kreme drive-thru night next door. Of course it would have been rude not to partake.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment